Built in 1873, a board and batten, this 2-up, 2-down house using cast off lumber from the Parry Sound Lumber Company yard (the original red pine floors can be found in the living, dining and Bay Rooms; the trim in the downstairs and the walls of the kitchen are also authentic) was built on the property known now as 40 Bay Street. It was more than likely built to house one of the managers of the Parry Sound Lumber Company. It would not have been used for general labourers – they had their own tenement house across the road.
As the mill prospered, the house was expanded to add an indoor kitchen and bedroom above it. It was bricked with red clay bricks from the Midland area (which would have been transported as ballast returning from dropping off a load of lumber), with quoining around the windows and doors, and cedar shakes were added to the roof.
When the lumber company dismantled the sawmill and moved to Britt, the house was sold. The first registered owner of the property was Adam Lawson, who purchased the house and property for $600.00 in 1894*. As early as 1901, it was being used as a boarding house, owned by Russell Weller. According to the 1901 census, the boarders were Joseph Rogerson (71), and Annie Millen (35) and her daughter Maud (10).
From1916 until 1971, the house was a home for the Alfred Villeneuve families. – who also took in boarders.
Other than the addition of a two storey-sun porch to the front of the house, an attached storage room and shed, changing from wood to oil heating, very little was done to update and modernize the property until 2006.
Susan Poole purchased the property from local artist Sheila Hannon, who used the property as a home and art gallery, rented rooms and had her art studio from 1993 until 2005.
If you have visited 40 Bay Street Bed & Breakfast, you will know that extensive interior renovations occurred throughout the house, including major updates to electrical, plumbing and heating systems, and insulating the property against the elements.