Ontario wild berry muffins
1/4 cup softened margarine
1/2 cup white sugar
3/4 cup milk
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup mixed wild berries, or blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- Cream margarine & sugar, stir in egg, add milk and vanilla and mix well.
- Combine dry ingredients, toss berries in to coat with flour, and add flour mixture and berries carefully into liquid, only stirring until barely mixed.
- Spoon into greased muffin cups (makes about 9 muffins) and bake 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Serve warm.
The "House Special" Cheddar and Chive Scrambled Eggs.
The best way to cook these eggs is in the microwave at medium heat, and stirring often.
For 2 servings:
Lightly grease a heat proof, deep narrow bowl or measuring cup.
Break three eggs into the bowl, beat with a fork until well mixed.
Sprinkle with 15 mls. (1 tablespoon) of fresh chives.
Microwave at medium heat for 1 minute.
Stir well and add 30 grams (1 oz.) of old cheddar cheese, cut into 0.5 cm. (1") cubes.
Microwave again at medium heat for 1 minute, stir and let set.
Ham, Apricots and Camembert on Toast
For each serving, toast 2 pieces of baguette.
Meanwhile, saute 2 thin slices of ham in butter.
Place 1 slice of sauteed ham, then 2 fresh apricot halves on top of each baguette slice.
Top with thin slice of Camembert, including rind.
Broil until cheese begins to melt.
Place 2 pieces on each plate, and serve immediately.
Sweet Corn Fritters
These are a favourite with our winter guests!
1 cup of plain flour
1 tablespoon of baking powder
1 tablespoon of granulated sugar
Salt and pepper to taste
2 cups of corn kernels (if using frozen corn, defrost prior to adding)
1/2 cup of milk
Vegetable oil for frying
Additions (all or any are optional):
1/2 cup of sliced spring onions or shallots.
Parsley or coriander or basil or baby spinach leaves, chopped
1 finely chopped up red pepper
- Sift flour baking powder and seasonings into large bowl, stir in sugar and make a well in the centre.
- Beat together the eggs and milk in a medium sized bowl, gradually add to the dry ingredients and mix well to make a lump free batter which can be quite stiff.
- Add the corn and any of the other optional ingredients to the batter, and mix.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a non-stick frying pan, drop a 1/4 cup of batter into the pan, four fritters to a frying pan at a time. Cook for 2 minutes on each side until golden. Serve 2 fritters with sliced fresh tomatoes and grilled ham slices or bacon.
Makes 6 fritters.